Sunday, September 4, 2011

Tyger! Tyger!

I just finished listing some tiger beads on eBay that were made with Diane Woodall's tiger stripe bead tutorial :


I love doing these beads although they are labor intensive for me as I'm still trying to master pulling twisties evenly.  I know, I know, most people learn this when they're lampwork newbies but I spent all my time as a newbie trying to encase the world.  ;)

I struggle, as do all of us that work as artisans, with pricing my pieces.  I am finally learning though to put up a starting price that while it doesn't reflect all the labor involved will at least let me recoup some of my time.

Beads are small.  The amounts of glass involved are minimal so the cost of materials is almost inconsequential.  Tools, tutorials, and the huge amounts of time invested however, are another story.  It's so hard (for me at least) to balance what I think is a fair price for all my invested work against the low economy here and what the market will bear.  Anyway.  Just some thoughts on pricing as I continue my personal evolution in the marketplace.  My mind wanders, lol.  Sometimes it helps to type this stuff up and send it out into the electronic void.

On a different but related note when I was making these beads William Blake's poem kept running through my head as I worked at the torch.  I memorized it as a child not because I had to but because I loved it so much.  I still do.  It will always have a special place in my heart.


THE TYGER (from Songs Of Experience)

By William Blake

Tyger! Tyger! burning bright
In the forests of the night,
What immortal hand or eye
Could frame thy fearful symmetry?

In what distant deeps or skies
Burnt the fire of thine eyes?
On what wings dare he aspire?
What the hand dare sieze the fire?

And what shoulder, & what art.
Could twist the sinews of thy heart?
And when thy heart began to beat,
What dread hand? & what dread feet?

What the hammer? what the chain?
In what furnace was thy brain?
What the anvil? what dread grasp
Dare its deadly terrors clasp?

When the stars threw down their spears,
And watered heaven with their tears,
Did he smile his work to see?
Did he who made the Lamb make thee?

Tyger! Tyger! burning bright
In the forests of the night,
What immortal hand or eye
Dare frame thy fearful symmetry?

1794

No comments:

Post a Comment