Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Innovation VS Stagnation



I receive email from The Smaller Box from time to time.  It's a good resource for anyone who wants to run a successful business.  I haven't had a chance to read the one currently in my email right now because I'm too busy....running a business.  I glanced at it though and I saw the words "running a business is hard work" and some correlations drawn between how being successful in business and being successful in fitness are similar.  It sounds logical and interesting and I plan make time and go back to finish reading the article.

I started thinking today as that information cooked in my brain between time working on glass, time spent on metal, packaging, cleaning, and online promotion about what is important to me in business.  Granted I'm not Donald Trump or the inventor of the Sham Wow but I did grow up with a father who went from digging ditches for $60 a week to becoming a successful businessman with a business worth around a million and I have some of my own ideas as to what makes a business great.

You should love what you do, otherwise why are you doing it?

You should treat your customers like they are Gold with a capital G because they are, they give you the ability to do what you love (see above).

And you should innovate, not stagnate.

Keep your current stock current.  Take notes and remake customer favorites but be open to change.  Look at what you are doing and ask yourself what's missing?  Turn something on it's ear once a week.

So I looked at the big hole beads I was doing for bracelets and necklaces by companies not to be named here but you know who they are and I saw silver cores and beadcaps in copper, brass, and silver.

Hmmmmmm.

Can't do anything with the silver core, that is to this type of bead what earwires are to earrings.  The beadcaps were missing something.  They were missing color.  I wanted to coordinate my beadcaps with my beads, pull the colors out of the glass and put them on the metal.  I wanted the colors to stay on the metal and not fade.  I wanted the piece to be durable, heirloom.  To that end after I achieved color and a two-part sealing process I sent my college-aged daughter who is a Geology major out to abuse the work.  She wasn't able to ruin it.  If you knew my daughter you'd understand this is a major achievement.

So, my new work, up in My Etsy *and* on my Ebay.

Me Likey.  What do you think?



4 comments:

  1. They are fantastic :) love them (but I do not use that kinada beads.......)Yous should sell the caps loose in diff sizes ?? for us addicts to buy and use :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Birgitta! My shoulder couldn't stand up to all the hammering if I went into beadcap production. Too many years as a nurse lifting too many people.

    I'm happy that you like them though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the colors and textures on the bead caps

    ReplyDelete